LF: VA3LK Log / Mains noise

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: VA3LK Log / Mains noise
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:38:51 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

I monitored 137.7894kHz again last night; nothing was visible until 0330, and the signal level then was quite low. The SNR was quite good in the period before dawn. Good signals were observed at 0330-0400, 0450-0510, 0545-0720. The last period was the best, as noted in the other reports. I found the noise level was pretty low throught the night.

As far as mains noise goes, I did once try some experiments with decoupling the house mains supply. On the whole, this was unsuccessful, some combinations of filtering and grounding actually made the noise worse. I concluded that the main problem was that it is very hard to get a decent ground connection, and that decoupling the mains noise to the ground connection simply means that the ground connection is at the mains noise potential now. There always seemed to be significant noise currents flowing in the connections between different parts of the grounding system, begging the question which one really is ground? I think for this kind of filtering to work, a very good ground mat would be needed, as previously remarked.

Most packaged mains filters are built with EMC regulations in mind, and since most of these only apply to frequencies above 150kHz, and the limits are more relaxed at the LF end of the range, the filters are not very effective in the LF range.

I have had more luck with, firstly, eliminating what sources of noise I could (going around turning things on and off revealed a particularly noisy compact flourescent bulb), and secondly, experimenting with different receive antennas in different positions. The position of loop antennas can make a radical difference to the noise they pick up.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU