RE: LF: Testing LF losses in materials

To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: LF: Testing LF losses in materials
From: "Talbot Andrew" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:22:55 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
That sounds more like a mismatch issue than dielectric loss.  Standard
PVC tape has a dielectric constant (Er) about the same as the
polyethylene insulator in the cable.  So as your joint must have
increased the diameter of the inner conductor, its Zo will have reduced
and given you a small section of mismatched line at 50cm (cable)
wavelength.  However, as the foamed  is part air the resultant lower Er
would partly compensate for the increased conductor diameter.   Mind
you, PVC is a lot more lossy than polyethylene so still some element of
real loss in this.

Andy  G4JNT

I used to use plastic sticky tape (any colour) to insulate between inner and outer of RG-213 coax cable where I'd joined it (typical amateur using odd lengths!) . Then I found I was losing 1-2 dB at each joint at 70 cms so abandoned it and used foamed polyethylene instead which is fine. Don't know if there are different types of plastic tape with different RF properties.

Walter G3JKV.

For those other than the recipient any disclosure, copying, distribution, or any action taken or omitted to be taken in reliance on such information is
prohibited and may be unlawful.