Re: LF: Minimalist QSO, a process

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Minimalist QSO, a process
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 17:28:33 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
VA3LK wrote:
After consultation with a number of peers I propose the following as
the minimum for a QSO validation over the North Atlantic on LF.

Step 1     M0BMU VA3LK                    va3lk sending
Step 2     VA3LK M0BMU O                m0bmu sending
Step 3     RO O                                   va3lk sending
Step 4     RO                                   m0bmu sending
Step 5     E E                                   va3lk sending
Step 6     E E                                   m0bmu sending

Hmmmm. I like the use of the Es, though perhaps something a little less prone to accidental reception (S?) would be better. However, the earlier part is a bit flawed. Are you assuming that this type of communication can only be done on sked, or can there be a random QSO?

If a sked, why send the complete calls? This has nothing to do with the legal requirement to identify - use 20WPM. You just need something unambiguous and if you already have a sked with M0BMU, the chances of another BMU turning up on frequency by chance are pretty remote. So just send the suffix. Jim will thank you for not having to spend an hour sending the zero!

If not a sked, there is no facility for acknowledging that it is M0BMU you are replying to. You could be sending the O to anyone.

Also, why send 'RO O'? Is the first 'O' a repeat back of the one sent to you? If so, there is no need to do this. Just 'R' will do - you either read it or you didn't. Incidentally, the convention for 'pse rpt' or 'agn' is just a question mark on its own. So if you didn't get the report and Jim was an 'M report with you, send '? M'.

If either sked or no-sked scenario is possible, and I think it is, you need to cater for both.

EG
Step 1     BMU VA3LK                    va3lk sending
Step 2     LK BMU O                m0bmu sending
Step 3     BMU RO O                                   va3lk sending
Step 4     RO                                   m0bmu sending
Step 5     E E                                   va3lk sending
Step 6     E E                                  m0bmu sending

Note that is common practice in Eu to use just suffixes in random 3s dot QRS QSO once the callsigns of both stations have been established beyond doubt.

Hope that is helpful and I have not misunderstood anything.

73

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.lf.thersgb.net