LF: VA3LK seen

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: VA3LK seen
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 10:33:11 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
After about a week of monitoring, I have now seen some CW characters from VA3LK. Not a complete callsign as yet, but certainly 'LK' and a 'Q'. These seemed to come out of the noise for just one, or even part of one, character. This was Sat/Sun..

One thing puzzles me is that several stations seem to be looking at a much narrower screen than me - some refer to a 2Hz display. I am using the 30s dot setting in Argo which displays much more than that. It seemed the obvious thing to do but is it right?

I have switched off the AGC in Argo. Although this is very efficient, it puts 'holes' in Morse elements when there is noise, instead of displaying the noise itself. In fact, the only was I can tell the noise level has changed is to look at the apparent strength of the Loran lines. This can be confusing. I will post some pictures to my web site to illustrate this.

Does anyone have any other tips on using this excellent program?

Also, I get tremendous QRM from the broadcast noises (Luxemburg effect?) right at the top of the band during the late evening. Are we really using the optimum frequency?

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.lf.thersgb.net