LF: Earth Rods / Spectrograms

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Earth Rods / Spectrograms
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 12:24:30 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

I found an easy way to drive in earth rods made from copper water pipe is like this: I found a steel rod of a slightly bigger diameter than the pipe, put a point on the end, and hammered it in to the ground. When it is in deep enough, it can be pulled out, and the copper pipe tapped into the hole. When driving the steel rod, it helps to pull it out occasionally, and pour some soapy water into the hole. This makes it easier to drive in, and easier to get the rod out afterwards. You need to fix something to the rod to hold on to when you are pulling it out. I used "Mole grips".

As well as AGC effects, another thing that will break up lines on a spectrogram display is any kind of limiting or overloading in the receiver or soundcard A/D converter. This is important when you leave the system running for several hours, and signal or noise levels change quite a bit. It's worth spending some time finding a gain level that gives signals well over the receiver noise level, but at least 10 or 20dB below the onset of overload.
Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU