LF: Noise and ARGO AGC

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Noise and ARGO AGC
From: "M. Bruno" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 22:26:42 +0100 (added by [email protected])
Data: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 22:26:12 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
In 14.53 30/01/01 , Mike G3XDV wrote:
I monitored all night for Larry but nothing seen because of high noise. This went off abruptly just after 0700, and I saw 'K CQ' ending at 0805 which was in total daylight at my end.

The 'C' was very clear indeed - see the small JPEG attached.

Switching off the AGC in Argo and reducing the Rx gain proved very useful as I could see the noise level changing and had no 'holes' in the Morse.

Mike,

we have to investigate why the noise suddenly drops around 7 a.m.,
but not always ... ?
I presumed the cause was the street lights, but the timing is different.

And about AGC off in ARGO, it is the only good way to use it. AGC off
on the RX also, and careful audio regulation reducing the RF gain.
When the noise is high ARGO saturates, but anyway in this condition
the signals are way down ...

73, Marco IK1ODO