LF: Re: 500KHz and around

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: 500KHz and around
From: "Petr Maly" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 16:45:14 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
This is a standard procedure on 500 kHz (I worked as radioofficer for nearly
10 years). From 15th minute and 45th minute each hour there are 3 minutes of
silence (for calling SOS). Usually after that coastal stations transmit
annoncement that they will broadcast WX or NX (navigational warnings) and
QSW means the working freq of the coastal station.
I can take a look to Admiralty List of Radio Signals which coastal stations
IAR5 is. Probably Roma.
Sometimes you can hear ship station calling a coastal station or one ship
station calling another ship station on this freq (should not happen in
silence periods).
It is not true that 500 kHz is not used any more. It is only not compulsory
for ships to listen on this freq for 8 hours a day or more.

73 Petr OK1FIG