LF: 73kHz Activity

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: 73kHz Activity
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 15:59:50 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF group,

Thanks to all those who sent reports of my 73kHz signals last night. I gather DF6NM was trying to call me for a cross-band QSO; unfortunately I was not actually set up for X-band operation last night, so was not able to see Markus' signal, but I will certainly sort this out in time for next Friday, or any time people would like to try for a sked.

I did not hear anyone else on 73kHz last night - however I did hear a signal that was new to me. It was on about 71.70kHz, and consisted of short "pips", a bit like one of the time signal stations, except that there were about 40 pips per minute, which seems like an awkward number for a time signal. It was barely audible on the transmit antenna, but was several dB above the noise on the loop antenna. Some pips were louder than others, a bit like the Russian Alpha VLF beacons speeded up. I tried nulling the signal with the loop - it was hard to find a null due to the noise from Rugby, but was roughly north-east/south-west from my QTH. It was still there today. Has anyone else heard this? Any ideas?

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU