LF: Real wireless in "Electronics World"!!

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Real wireless in "Electronics World"!!
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 14:09:36 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi All, I have just received my Jan copy of Electronics World ( or Wireless
World as it used to be known) with a article by two Italians on 136MHz.
There are no call-signs given, and a lot of the background about 136 seems
to be somewhat dated, possibly due to publication delays. A little too much
emphasis is given to CCIR type graphs which are proving to have little in
common with amateur style communications.  "Better equiped station achieve
several hundred kms in daytime and 1000 to 2000 at night" would seem to be
about 2 years out of date. 'Skywave' is a regular feature of daytime qsos
(not just night-time as they infer)  and I have heard Valerio, Raino,
Christer and Petr  often in daytime as, I am sure, have you all. In fact a
week ago Mike in Pembroke was working Raino at good strength when I was
struggling a little....a good indication of daytime ionospheric propagation.
Concentration seems to be on low power transmitters.

Having said that there is a lot of interesting practical detail on coils and
aerials including loops. It could act as a 'recruiting poster' for amateurs
who have not yet been exposed to the joys of LF. Surprisingly it does not
mention this reflector, though Geri web site gets a mention. Peter may find
it worthwhile dropping the journal a letter to update them on the
availablity of the new LF Handbook. Spectrogram 5 is mentioned in passing
but no mention of Robert or his web site. The is also no mention of their
home grown Spectran software from Alberto.

Cheers de Alan G3NYK
[email protected]