Re: LF: Real wireless in "Electronics World"!!

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Real wireless in "Electronics World"!!
From: "Peter Dodd" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 13:12:45 GMT
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Alan
I have just received my Jan copy of Electronics World ( or Wireless
World as it used to be known) with a article by two Italians on 136MHz.
There are no call-signs given, and a lot of the background about 136 seems
to be somewhat dated, possibly due to publication delays. A little too much
emphasis is given to CCIR type graphs which are proving to have little in
common with amateur style communications..............................

I read the article and I agree with you

Peter may find it worthwhile dropping the journal a letter to update them on the
availability of the new LF Handbook.......................

OK, I have sent an e-mail, a copy of which is shown below:

Hi Jackie,
I refer to your article in Electronics World, 'Comms at 136kHz'.

We, as a large group radio amateurs, have been experimenting using LF frequencies on the 73kHz band and the 136kHz band since 1997. Your article does not reflect the reality of work being done on these bands and is mainly derived from textbooks - much of which is inappropriate to amateur radio applications. Furthermore, the circuits are far to simplified to be of any practical use; for example it is essential to be able to resonate the antenna loading coil for the transmitter to have any chance of working. There is amateur activity from around 22 countries in Europe (including Italy) and limited activity from Canada and USA and contact has been made with Europe and Canada on the 136kHz band on more than one occasion. None of this activity has been described in your article. Detailed information regarding the LF bands is described in 'The Low Frequency Experimenter's Source Book' available from the Radio Society of Great Britain. Would you like an article on the real world of amateur radio on the low frequency bands?

--
Regards, Peter Dodd, G3LDO

<[email protected]>