Re: LF: VE1ZZ

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: VE1ZZ
From: "Peter Dodd" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2000 11:10:54 GMT
Sender: <[email protected]>
John Currie, VE1ZJ said:

 I believe  10 second dashes were seen by G0MRF   right after I first
had the xband  qso with Dave I called Jack VE1ZZ on landline and he came on .
Dave heard his 10 second dashes...........................

I would have had a problem with 10 second dashes because some of the many Loran lines send slow dashes. However, one of the advantages of the QRSS system we have all been using is that it can detect transmission characteristics. For example, when I was using a signal generator as a driver in the earlier QRSS experiments I had frequency drift and a slight frequency modulation that made the characters look like 'worms' (sort of like ~). I also got to know the characteristics of I5TGC's transmissions during our experiments. When Jack was sending his 10 second dashes he was also (at that time) using a signal generator as an exciter so it should have had some 'characteristic'. He is now using a crystal with a divider circuit so his signal is very stable.

       Jack and MM0ALM will also be trying for 2 way with regular cw  I believe
MM0ALM  put up a larger antenna today.

I wish them the best of luck, it is a tough challenge.
I have gone as far as I can with the development of my transmitter and antenna is concerned, regarding transmit power. I can now radiate 1 watt erp (according to calculation and measurement) and that is the maximum power I am allowed under the terms of my licence. It would take a very good 'lift' for me to be heard on normal CW in VE but of course this could well happen.

During the times I have monitored VE1ZZ I get the feeling that the CFH factor (for the want of a better word) is not the only one has to consider. When monitoring CFH the signal is so strong that it represses the QRN around and only when the it drops below a certain level can you see the signal level bouncing around on the QRN on Alans recordings. The signal from VE1ZZ is much lower of course and is much affected by QRN. VE1ZZ readability appears to be a combination of CFH factor/QRN ratio.

Finally, I wish all LFers the best for Christmas and for the Year 2001

--
Regards, Peter, G3LDO

<[email protected]>