Re: LF: QRSS is a full success in USA

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: QRSS is a full success in USA
From: "mike.dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 08:52:36 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Mike. G3XDV wrote

with existing freeware and internal hardware. There is only a tiny number
of
well-equipped Eu stations who have BPSK going efficiently.<

... correct, Mike ... but I still remember 1997/98, when only a few
stations were equipped with either FFT-DSP or DSP programs that required
special hardware. The QRSS-"boom" came later, when solutions like
Spectrogram and QRSS became available and more stations realized how easy
it was to get QRV in QRSS. So let us see ... if I interpret Lyle's tests
correctly, there is still an improvements of about 6 dB to expect if we
switch to a slow synchronized mode ... maybe exactly the 6 dB some of us
need to cross the Atlantic (still I only got about 200 mW ERP, my trial of
increasing my output power of thr G0MRF PA lasted about 10 seconds ..
before my FETs exploded ...).
Geri, DK8KW (W1KW)
---------

Yes, what I was really trying to say was that it was not a change from QRSS
to BPSK in Europe. It was more that stations were becoming equipped with
both modes, though rather slowly.

Just sitting here on Christmas Day waiting for lazy Number 1 son to get out
of bed so we can open the family's presents!

I will be in GW between Christmas and New Year, but only active on receive.
Back on the air from Jan 2.

73 and a happy New Year
de Mike, G3XDV