LF: G4JNT's Hell seen in Bavaria

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: G4JNT's Hell seen in Bavaria
From: [email protected]
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 06:47:37 EST
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear Andy and LF Group,

as expected, the 10 Hz Hell was superior to 20 Hz. The best image resulted from a resolution bandwidth optimized to the short pixel duration and fast scanning with no averaging (1.4 Hz, 250 ms). In the PaintShop "postprocessing", I simply blanked the noise-only intervals before compressing horizontally, so the maximum SNR for a given transmitted energy should be recovered. A 29 kB gif file describing this procedure can be sent directly.

Thank you Andy for this interesting experiment. Does the _BCN mean beacon?

vy 73 de Markus
DF6NM, JN59NK

Markus Vester wrote:

Hi Andy,

just a quick response: yes, hell clearly is there, abt -5 dBuV/m now, but hardly readable. I can easily see the vertical lines chirping downward, but the horizontal dots are difficult. I tried several spectrogram settings, 0.7 Hz / 500 ms seemed best for SNR (see gif). Averaging would probaby be better in connecting the parts of a character, but it smears out the dots so they get lost in the noise. The signal can't be everywhere at the same time. Theoretically, one would wish for a sliding bandpass synchronous to the chirps, which would block the noise in between. I will experiment with more settings on the recorded wav files later.

I'll try to call you in DFCW, and maybe you could also send narrower bandwidth hell.

73 de Markus

GIF image