Re: LF: CFA Antenna: miraculous?

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: CFA Antenna: miraculous?
From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 10:36:59
Sender: <[email protected]>
I have been looking for information on the CFA antenna and found some on
internet. Links to them are found on my webpage :
http://www.qsl.net/on7yd/136lit.htm
(3 last articles)

Who would not be interested in a compact antenna with the performance of a
quarter-wave ? Most of us would even be more than happy to accept a loss of 20dB referred
to a quarter-wave ... but :

- If you convert 6.5m on 16Mhz to 136kHz, the antenna is still 55m high
- Building (and adjusting) the antenna will be far more complicated and
expensive than making a simple vertical or loop antenna.
-So far I have not found any report that a CFA antenna has been built by a
ham for any frequency.
- While other antennas for 136kHz mainly consist of wires and are rather
invisible, the CFA seems to be a massive construction, so a height of 5 to
10 meters will be the limit that most hams can achieve without getting into
trouble with the neighbourgs and the authorities. Converted back to 1.16MHz
this would mean a height of 1 meter or less.

It might be a good idea to try it on topband or even on 80m, let's see what
it is worth there.

73, Rik  ON7YD