Re: LF: Re: HellSchreiber

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: HellSchreiber
From: "M.J.Powell" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 20:01:42 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
In message <[email protected]>,
john sexton <[email protected]> writes
Hi Mitch and All,

Mitch VE3OT wrote that HellSchreiber is named after the inventor, Dr. Hell.

You are of course right Mitch. It just goes to show how a little knowledge
is a dangerous thing, hi! I thought I knew German reasonably well. My only
defence is that the family name Bright is also common in English. Maybe it
was indeed meant to be a pun as you suggest? Who knows what was in his mind
when he named it? The name reminded me of what we used to call Legible Text,
which we puched at the beginning of our Computer tapes, although we became
quite proficient at reading ASCII on paper tapes. This was a long time ago,
when computers were rare and viewed as electronic brains, instead of as
glorified typewriters for modern secretaries.

Not Mitch. Twas me!

Mike
--
M.J.Powell