Re: LF: Re: Copying CW

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Copying CW
From: "g3kev" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 16:37:38 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

Dick Rollema wrote:

To All from PA0SE

Mike, G3XDV, wrote

> I have been playing around with feeding differently derived audio into
> the two halves of stereo headphones with some interesting results.
> I will report in detail when the tests are complete. In short, it is
> certainly possible to improve headphone reception, both in terms of
> close-in selectivity and resistance to static.

I have tested "pseudo-stereophonic" reception of CW by feeding the halves of
a stereo headphone via series tuned circuits resonating at  1002 and 842Hz
(922 ± 80Hz)  respectively.
At first the result  was pleasant; it sounded like being in a room with the
wanted 922Hz signal in the centre. But it did not take me long to find out
that it contributed absolutely nothing to the readibility of signals under
difficult conditions.

You are correct, this has all been tried before years ago and proved useless.
The only solution is to become a compentent cw operator. You will then be able
to read cw under all adverse conditions. which is often the case of HF/LF. And
cw is far from DEAD. It is virtually impossible to find a slot
on the cw portion of any band  especially during a contest. How about a high
speed cw contest on 136 khz.
Is there such a thing as a BPSK, PTOR or PSK31 contest ???????????
G3KEV

It proved again that our sophisticated ear/brain system cannot be helped by
such primitive contraptions.

73, Dick, PA0SE