LF: Re: Copying CW

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Copying CW
From: "Dick Rollema" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 13:24:44 +0200
Sender: <[email protected]>
To All from PA0SE

Mike, G3XDV, wrote

I have been playing around with feeding differently derived audio into
the two halves of stereo headphones with some interesting results.
I will report in detail when the tests are complete. In short, it is
certainly possible to improve headphone reception, both in terms of
close-in selectivity and resistance to static.

I have tested "pseudo-stereophonic" reception of CW by feeding the halves of
a stereo headphone via series tuned circuits resonating at  1002 and 842Hz
(922 ± 80Hz)  respectively.
At first the result  was pleasant; it sounded like being in a room with the
wanted 922Hz signal in the centre. But it did not take me long to find out
that it contributed absolutely nothing to the readibility of signals under
difficult conditions.

It proved again that our sophisticated ear/brain system cannot be helped by
such primitive contraptions.

73, Dick, PA0SE