LF: Re: AR88D and diversity

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: AR88D and diversity
From: "Larry Kayser" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 19:04:09 -0400
Sender: <[email protected]>
Alan says.......

Hi all I think Mal is right that the AR88D is not a diversity receiver, BUT
I recollect a rack of three which I think had been modified for diversity
use

Well not just a few, I have seen roomfuls of them in this mode and there
were many many of these that were later sold as individual receiver units.
They had a few extra back panel connectors as well for the diversity
functions.  They came out of the factory in a diversity package as I once
noticed that most of the units in diversity racks had consecutive serial
numbers in one lot I saw a few years ago.

The AR-88 was a great receiver.  I would not recommend that you consider
drooling over one, the darn things weigh just around 90 lbs each and have
caused a lot of hernias over the years.  I once had one that burned up and I
decided to garbage it.  The garbage man refused to take it as it weighed
over his limit of 75 lbs.

Lately I have seen a number of them with different varieties of S meters,
both factory built that way and some also fitted later during refits.  There
are some coming out now that are in extremely good condition, well at least
they are very very clean.  If anyone has a real heartburn for one they are
available at Ford's in Smiths Falls, about 30 miles from here.  You can
reach Bill or Ron Ford at....

http://www.falls.igs.net/~testequipment/

as usual, I have no relationship with the Fords, although I am overdue it
seems with a manual I rented from them Hi......

Not all AR-88's are the same either.  Some have the 915 kHz IF while others
have the 455 kHz and I do not remember which have which....

Larry
VA3LK