Re: LF: Spectran

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Spectran
From: "Alberto di Bene" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 17:09:32 +0200
Sender: <[email protected]>
Mike Dennison wrote:

[snip]
The main disadvantage is its speed varying with other applicatiions
running on the computer as one of the great things about QRSs is
that you can multi-task - I once had a QSO during which I drove my
wife to the shops and back, and didn't miss a single dot.
[snip]

Mike,
            Spectran uses up a lot of the CPU cycles, especially when
the overlap factor is high. If other applications contend for CPU time,
it is inevitable that some amount of slowing down can happen.

In the program there is a measurement device that monitors how much
CPU time it can obtain, and adjust dynamically the overlap factor.
BTW this is also the reason why sometimes it is possible to see a good
amount of fluctuation on the display of the overlap factor.

73
Alberto   I2PHD