Re: LF: Re: Litz wire

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Litz wire
From: "Andre' Kesteloot" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 20:08:30 -0400
Sender: <[email protected]>
From Nov. 1985 "Technical Topics", a tip from G. Lucas G3TWE: "fill a small
container (a [metal] bottle cap is ideal) with methylated spirits (I use rubbing
alcohol, N4ICK) and light it. Place the end of the wire, one inch or so, in the
flame to burn off the insulation, remove it and blow the burning insulation out.
next, replace the wire in the flame, and heat it until the wire is red hot, then
quench the wire rapidly by immersing the it in the unburnt spirits, and remove
quickly. The result is clean multistrands of wire that may be twisted together,
tinned and soldered in the conventional manner. Finally, do  _not_  extinguish
the
burning methylated spirits by attempting to blow out the flame or you may end up
with burning spirits all over the work-bench. Instead always snuff it out by
covering it completely with a lid or other convenient cover".
73
Andre' N4ICK
********************
Peter Dodd wrote:

I just put the end of the wire directly into the solder pot, which
softened the PVC insulation so that it pulled off quite easily. I
then removed the thin fibre strands that held wires together, dipped
the wire end in flux then put it in the solder pot. After 30 seconds
the all the individual wires seemed tinned.

Does anyone have knowledge or experiance of this procedure? Am I
going the right way about it?

--
Regards, Peter, G3LDO

<[email protected]>