Re: LF: Spectran beta 3, build 262

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Spectran beta 3, build 262
From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 13:43:23
Sender: <[email protected]>
I tested the lastest version (built 262) last night on Marco's (IK1ODO)
signal. Results are amazing, while I had poor copy with Spectogram I could
get a perfect 'O' signal with Spectran. It just took some time to
experiment with the (many) parameters.

After some 'playing' with Spectran I found that following parameters gave
best results on the IK1ODO beacon signal :

Avg Factor = 4 + integration
Sample rate = 8000Hz (or 5512.5Hz)
Contrast = 125
Res = 0.061Hz (or 0.042Hz at 5512.5Hz sample rate)
Speed = default (startup) value
Lvl = adjusted until the signal is at +/- 75% of the scale at the upper screen
Log = on

Setting 'Lvl' high enough is very important, from Spectogram I was used to
have a rather low input level for best result but Spectran needs a much
higher input level. Also 'Log' must be active (red). Increasing Contrast
from 100 (default) to 125 improved things a lot.
Marco's signal was too strong to test higher averaging and/or higher Contrast.

Question to Marco : what was your ERP last night (+/- 22 UT) ? Would it be possible to decrease it with 3 to 6 dB, to allow to test
Spectran on a really weak signal.

Finaly : congrats to Alberto and his friend, the lastest version of
Spectran is an excellent tool !

73, Rik  ON7YD