Re: LF: Terms

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Terms
From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 08 May 2000 13:40:30
Sender: <[email protected]>
The 'rules' (as they were learned to me when I was an eng. student, back in
the late 70's) were :
- no space between the figure and unit when the unit is abbrevated (so
136.5kHz)
- abbrevated units in capital otherwise not (so 12V and 12 volt)
- no multiples for units (so volt, ampére, watt, not volts, ampéres, watts)
- RF, LF, IF etc : in capitals without dots

BTW : terms LF, HF ,RF, IF etc... are mixed up frequently :

RF = radio frequency (regardless of the exact frequency)
IF = intermediate frequency (idem dito)
So a receiver can have a RF of 136kHz and an IF of 70MHz.

Frequency ranges :
VLF = 3kHz - 30kHz (very low frequencies)
LF = 30kHz - 300kHz (low frequencies)
MF = 300kHz - 3MHz (medium frequencies)
HF = 3MHz - 30MHz (high frequencies)
VHF = 30MHz - 300MHz (very high frequencies)
UHF = 300MHz - 3GHz (ultra high frequencies)
SHF = 3GHz - 30GHz (super high frequencies)

So despite what one often reads both the 73kHz and 136kHz ham bands are LF
and not VLF.