LF: Earth contact resistance

To: "rsgb_lf_group" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Earth contact resistance
From: "Alan Melia" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2000 22:12:13 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi all, I have noted again from Peter's description of the Tesla experiments
at the Museum, and from John's Earth Wireless web site, that the addition of
several pounds (or kgms) of common salt (and water) seems to be a usual way
of improving the contact resistance beween earth rods and the surrounding
ground. It occurs to me that those with an enviromental approach or just
those who are keen gardeners (I note the reluctant pruning near the
aerials!) might not wish to blight their garden with large quantities of
sodium chloride. I have seen somewhere in radio literature that Gypsum is
almost as good in the electrical parameters and is actually beneficial
horticulturally. It is much less soluble than salt and for the same effect
will not need quite so many repeated treatments (It may not yield quite such
a low resistance). I suspect its worth a try as Gypsum ( Calcuim Sulphate)
is available from most Garden Centres.

"I am just top dressing the lawn dear...."      when decreasing the
resistance of the earth-mat you surreptitiously buried under
it.............. It could just be worth an extra helping of chocolate fudge!

Cheers de Alan G3NYK
[email protected]