LF: Transatlantic 11

To: "rsgb" <[email protected]>
Subject: LF: Transatlantic 11
From: "g3kev" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 20:06:07 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hi Larry and info to others.

That seems an elaborate project for November and a lot of involvement.

I will go across to Cookstown/Tyrone. N.I for the period Nov 10 - 27th.
for the test.

Mine is a more simple approach and a one man job, purely Amateur Radio
and not a commercial site sponsered by Decca/Racal.

The antenna tower at 120 feet vertical is already installed and just
needs the antenna attaching. The antenna  will consist of a 120 feet
vertical section top loaded with 4 horizontal  wires each approx
500 feet long but could be longer, there is plenty of room. This will be
resonated and matched to 50 ohms at the base of the tower, and fed to
the shack via 50 ohm cable. The ground system consists of several
elevated insulated radials each one approx 300 feet long and connected
at the far end to metal sheep fencing that runs across the country for
miles in all directions. The erp is expected to be around 1W.
This installation is privately owned by myself and has already been
tested and will be in use again several times before November. I am in
the process of building a new TX as a standby.
The TX is driven from a high stability synthesizer for frequency
accuracy and stability.
I prefer normal hand speed CW up to 30 wpm send/receive and always
select a speed appropriate for the conditions and the operator at the
other end.
I also have computer facilities to generate and receive very slow cw if
totally necessary, To date I have not found this to be the case.
If this operation is successful in November it is irrelevant who
actually makes the first qso as long as those participating all make it
across in the end, often the first across the line depends a lot on luck
and being in the right place at the right time!!!!!!!
If I had your Locator I would calculate the distance using GPS.
Good luck with your plans.
73 de Mal/G3KEV/GI3KEV