LF: QRS CW from Canada

To: [email protected], [email protected]
Subject: LF: QRS CW from Canada
From: "Larry Kayser" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2000 16:42:03 -0400
Sender: <[email protected]>
Mike:

In order for DX beacons to be REALLY useful, ie identifiable on
Spectrogram etc, they should ideally transmit continuously with
regular hand-speed callsigns for the audio boys, but also have
extremely slow CW imposed on it in very narrow FSK for weak
signal work. Something like 2 or 3Hz shift would be very visible on
a DSP program but inaudible to the listener. It may be that we
could have seen the USA beacons by now but it would have been
impossible to have made a positive identification in any case.
More work for you!!

The Canadian beacon at this time is only for testing antennas, tuners,
tools, method and processes (RX and TX) and modulation methods to be used on
the TransAtlantic II effort.  The modulation for the moment will be BPSK and
then some QRS CW and maybe, if there is a model for it, some FSK.

After a QSO across the North Atlantic is a reality I will do other things
here from Westport for the duration of the license period in an attempt to
also get across North Atlantic from here.

I hear your message, and I agree after we have done TransAtlantic II, then
all things are possible.  For now the focus is not for general listening by
others, although I have nothing wrong with that, I would really like very
much to have a good 40 wpm QSO on LF, that would be a lot of fun and might
get some of my FOC friends interested hi.

Please try and accept my single focus, TransAtlantic II is the only interest
here until it is done, or I am forced to admit failure.

Well done on the test licence.

Thank you.

Larry
VA3LK