Re: LF: Decca Masts

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Decca Masts
From: "g3kev" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 07:54:58 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>

[email protected] wrote:

In a message dated 4/5/00 9:35:08 AM GMT Daylight Time, [email protected]
writes:

<< This is exactly what the DMG is trying to avoid.

 If anyone wants to operate from these sites under his own licence
 using his own kit and his own callsign then he can do so without
 further ado using /P. >>

Thank you Walter and Mike for the replies.
Yes, I realised that a letter to the RIS is all that is needed to remove need
for the /P suffix and for the ability to operate 73k away from the main
station address.
My interest, as you surmised, related to the 1 W ERP limit on both bands.

I believe that a special event call can be obtained via the RSGB in about 4
weeks, so on this occasion it's probably too late ( Hert's mast).

I look forward to those 1 W ERP signals, and subsequently, to all those
calibrated selective level meters across Europe. In the meantime I'll try for
a 100W  NOV and see where how far I get.

With 100 W erp from a 300/400 ft mast the signal would be enormous. Good TX
filtering is essential to avoid splattering and swamping everyone else on the
band, especially those located up to a few hundred miles from the site. With
only
2 khz b/width on 136 khz this could be a problem and could become another RUGBY
scenario for every one else on the band. Using MOSFET switched mode type
amplifiers could also be a problem, especially the 3rd/5th harmonics and beyond.
A good linear valve amplifier would be a better choice.
Taking the above observations into consideration good luck with the experiment
and I hope you manage to work across the Atlantic. The weakness could be the
other end.

I have been trying to encourage some 160 metre dxers, with large antennas  on
the
East coast USA
to try 136 khz but they do not seem to be interested. There are also three GI
amateurs that I know with towers in excess of 130 ft high, each one has at least
two towers but they are not interested in anything below 160 metres. Those with
the hardware, capability, experience and ideal locations do not seem
enthusiastic.
That leaves GI3PDN with his 80 ft tower and myself GI3KEV with a 120 ft tower.
If
anyone wants to organise a DXPEDITION to Cookstown/Tyrone sometime let me know.
It is also a rare County for ALL band activity. Any band that I operate on from
there attracts a PILE UP.
G3KEV/SCARBOROUG

73

David  G0MRF.

(Enjoying working into ON / PA / DL etc on a 10m vertical. Tough, but fun.)