LF: Re: Thursday night conditions - DL1SAN's ANT

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Thursday night conditions - DL1SAN's ANT
From: "Finbar O'Connor" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 23:45:07 -0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Hello James , M0BMU,
                                  Many thanks for the contact  yesterday.
As a matter of interest I have been QRT for  about  2 months now but have
re-erected an LF antenna again. Perhaps you might be interested in what I am
using.
Basically it is  a 4 wire  horizontal  antenna using  electricans earthing
wire. Length  90 metres overall. Total amount of wire in antenna   360
metres.
The support system consists of the following........
I have a  10 metre  wooden pole ( ex street light pole) with  a metal pole
protruding at the top to which I have joined a  horizontal  3 metre steel
pole with  4  insulators  spaced  2 on each side of  centre.  Across the
field next door (  farmer agreeable to my having antenna strung across it )
I have
the 4 wires  running to another  pole, again with  4 insulators which
terminate each of the  90 metre wires.
This end is supported  by a rope slung over the limb of a  large  oak tree
and hauled up to about  8 metres.
At the  feed end the wires come together  12 metres beyond the  high support
and drop about  20 feet
at an angle of 45 degrees to the shed window , where it feeds through the
wooden window frame to the
ATU coil.  To bring to resonance, the loading coil  has a value of  950 uH.
The appears to be  strong similarities between my antenna and  John  G4GVC,
whose antenna is essentially horizontal  as well. I will be very interesting
to note how the antenna performs in the light of the strong debate on  high
verticals and if  reasonably successful, could give  encouragement to those
who cannot or don't want to erect  large verticals.  John   G4GVC has had
great success with his, so lets hope I can  work a bit of DX with mine.
Thanks again for the pleasant qso.
Bye the way  Mike G3XDV has done wonders to his signal, sounds superb, good
copy, thanks Mike for the qso last night.
73's   Finbar    EI0CF       Malin Head.
-----