LF: Thursday night conditions - DL1SAN's ANT

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Thursday night conditions - DL1SAN's ANT
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:27:37 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,
Was very pleased to work EI0CF and SM6PXJ on 136kHz normal CW last night, both for the first time.

The fading on signals on the band was very noticeable - Finbar started off as 439 and was 559 by the end of the QSO. Christer's signal was the other way round - starting at 549 and almost disappearing at the end of the QSO. I have tried to work both Finbar and Christer on several occasions before, but with no success, so it seems these 'rapid fading' conditions are good for me, anyway.

I am still running 100W into an inverted L at about 8m average height - but in spite of this, and somewhat sporadic operating, I have been able to work about 30 different stations in 8 countries since last December. I would encourage anyone who likes the idea of 136kHz operation, but who is put off by not having a huge antenna or transmitter, to have a go anyway - you can still have an interesting time with quite modest means.

Interesting to see how DL1SAN's inverted V antenna works out - I presume he intends to tune it up as a short dipole - It would be very interesting if he could also try it as a top-loaded vertical, for comparison. That should add some fuel to the low angle versus high angle debate. If Wolf tunes it up as a dipole, he will certainly need a well insulated feeder!

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU