Re: LF: Preferred freqs

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Preferred freqs
From: "Steve Rawlings" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 21:07:52 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Regarding data modes, Geri wrote:
. . . two segments that would be perfect for "beaconing":

below 136.000 kHz (we have chose that segment, because here within Europ > there is much QRM . . .

This is true.  But we still have to be careful!  Beaconing for extended
periods close to 136.0 kHz at times of high activity (e.g. Sat/Sun
mornings) has been known to cause QRM to local stations attempting to
operate normal-speed CW at the low end of the band.
The other segment is the "Analog- and Digital Mode"sSegment, that
we also have used already for PSK31, HELL, RTTY, etc. between 137.300 and
137.600 kHz.

More recently, it has been pointed out that 137.3 kHz remains a popular
frequency for normal-speed CW.  I believe that the guidelines published
in Dave's colummn ('Radcom', January 2000, p71) took this into account
when suggesting that data modes use the band 137.4 to 137.6 kHz.

But, as Dave pointed out in RadCom, this is not mandatory, it is just a
suggestion.

Regards to all,
Steve GW4ALG