LF: AW: Re: Transatlantic

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: AW: Re: Transatlantic
From: "Soegiono, Gamal" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 12:56:36 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear Petr,

OK1FIG> Interesting anyway, but is this still amateur radio transmission OK1FIG> or rather scientific experiment?
Please don't get me wrong.

For my understanding, this is one and the same, amateur radio as well
as scientific experiment.

Please refer to the CEPT/ERC Recommendation 62-01 E which allows us
to use this nice new band (if the national authority implements it
into national law):

----------- excerpt from CEPT/ERC Recommendation 62-01 E ------------
USE OF THE BAND 135.7-137.8 kHz BY THE AMATEUR SERVICE

Recommendation adopted by the Working Group "Frequency Management" (WGFM):

"The European Conference of Postal and Telecommunications Administrations,

considering

that the Amateur Service is a service according to the ITU radio regulations

for the purpose of self-training, intercommunication and technical investigations carried out by amateurs,

that radio amateurs conduct experiments in radiowave propagation and radiocommunication on a regular basis,

that the Low Frequency (LF) bands are of particular interest for
investigating as yet little understood propagation phenomena,
----------- excerpt from CEPT/ERC Recommendation 62-01 E ------------

So what Klaus von der Heide supposes might sound highly sofisticated
to one or another. But isn't it the wide spread of activities
which makes amateur radio so interesting for everyone?

I like ragchewing (this is also amateur radio),
I like experimenting (this is amateur radio as well).

That Klaus von der Heide needs precision clocks is just
another parameter required to succesfully dig deeper into
radio propagation not yet fully exhausted.

OK1FIG> Or, at least, I really don't have atomic time base
OK1FIG> in the ham-shack.
I don't have one in my shack as well. But I may build a rather
simple receiver to utilize a frequency of one of the standard
time and frequency stations next door in order to synchronize
a PLL controlled VFO for example.

So please lets focus on the joy which amateur radio provides
us. Let's utilize what our authorities allow us. It is up to
us to select what corner of the wide spread and kind of
amateur radio activity field fits best to our taste.

Have a nice weekend and a lot of fun and success with amateur radio.

Best 73 de Gamal