Re: LF: Transatlantic

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Transatlantic
From: "Rik Strobbe" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 11:59:46
Sender: <[email protected]>
At 10:15 17/01/00 -0000, G3XDV wrote:
Yes, but first things first. I have not yet found a US station who has confirmed hearing DCF39. Amateur signals are going to be some 70dB weaker.

You're right, DCF39 should be heard at the American side. But, assuming
that both DFC39 as CHF have an ERP in the range of 25kW, if we heard CHF so
strong then it should be no problem for them hearing DCF39. Again based on 25kW for DCF39 and 1W for us the ham signals should be some
44dB weaker, 70dB seems much (would mean that DCF39 runs 10000kW ERP).
Additional DCF as about 100km more east and 500km more south than EI/GM.
This can be another 5 to 10dB advance for the EI/GM stations (leaves a 35
to 40dB 'gap').
Maybe the above is a bit optimistic but sometimes it doesn't hurt to look
at it from the bright side.
And there is an old German saying : 'Probieren geht über studieren'
(translated freely : to try is more important than to study).

But anyway, I think that it is good to find a big 'audience' at the other
side of the pond, that increases our chances to find out something more
about transatlantic propagation on LF.

73, Rik  ON7YD