Re: LF: Calculating distributed C for inductors

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Calculating distributed C for inductors
From: "James Moritz" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 13:13:13 +0000
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dear LF Group,

Re: Loops and stray capacitance measurements.

All these methods will give you a rough idea of the stray capacitance; but results will be somewhat variable, since they assume that the loop can be modelled as an inductor with some stray capacitance in paralell. An actual loop antenna, due to it's construction, has distributed capacitance and inductance, so a more realistic model would be a network of transmission lines. I think models have been devised for single turn loops, but I am not aware of any for a multi turn loop. My maths isn't up to it, i'm afraid!

In practice, this means the experimental value of stray C varies depending on what the measuring frequency is - the effect gets worse the closer you get to the self resonant frequency, and the nearer the length of wire in the winding approaches the wavelength. I seem to remember the apparent stray capacitance goes down as the frequency goes up. What this means to loop-makers is you have to take the measurements with a large pinch of salt. Dont be suprised if the resuts are inconsistent. In general, higher Q and therefore better sensitivity occur with low stray capacitance and thick wire.

Cheers, Jim Moritz
73 de M0BMU