LF: I'm back

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: I'm back
From: "Finbar O'Connor" <[email protected]>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 23:23:34 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Following my exile to another radio station, I'm back at Malin Head Radio again.
However my extensive LF antenna system came down in a recent gale and I have not had a chance to restore it to  service again. All is not lost, at least I can hear some stations on an indoor  1 metre loop with a differential loop amp. The following stations have been heard over the previous weekend.
G3KEV, G3YXM, G4GVC, MM0ALM.
I managed to get on the LF 80 metre net last Sunday evening, for a very short while  before rushing off for my night duty. It might be of interest  to note that I was using an antenna of about  2 feet high, well short of a metre high , sitting on the work bench, consisting of the base matching coil from my LF set up and  a 2 foot by 1 foot piece of cooking foil wrapped over a
piece of  perspex , for the top hat. The coil has  38 turns  wide spaced over  one foot , diameter  , 6 inches.  Originally I used this almost as a joke to listen on 80 metres, since I have no outside antennnas at present. I was astounded to get a responce
on 80 metres and have now worked a number of station on 80 m. Yesterday and today I worked quite a few stations on 40 m.

To match to 80 m , the tx tapping was  11 turns up and the coil tap was  17 turns up. On 40 m  , tx  12 turns up and  coil
14 turns up.

The reason for mentioning this is , it has made me re-think about heavily loaded antennas for  136 khz. Perhaps before I  put up my usual big long wire antenna for 136 khz  I might have a go at a micro helical top loaded antenna. Will keep  the group informed of any progress.

73's   Finbar     EI0CF     and glad to be back at Malin Head Radio.