Re: LF: re Dave's Comment on filters

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: re Dave's Comment on filters
From: "Toni Bdrtschi" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 19:47:31 +0200
Sender: <[email protected]>
From HB9ASB, JN36pt

Ah, the key words here are "grey matter". The DSP in the brain is
far superior to anything you can get from MFJ, but only for certain
things. Certainly, the theoretical advantage in signal/noise of a
narrower filter is never achieved in practice with reception by ear
because the brain is able to do its own filtering. The main advantage
of a narrow filter is in reducing QRM which the brain has difficulty
filtering out. And perhaps Alan would find the need for a narrower
filter if he had to copy all of a QSO.

I think thats the point, Mike and I agree with your comments.
Unfortunately our grey-matter-filters have not all the same quality.
Mine is probably heavy damaged by the wine growing in our region - so I
really need a little help from "external" filters.
73 de Toni

PS. Good signal from the G3XTZ beacon on 135.950 Can copy it by ear with 10Hz BW (the band down there is full of carriers
from unknown sources)