LF: Re: Receivers

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: Receivers
From: "Tony" <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 10:09:34 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
----- Original Message -----
From: Dave <[email protected]>

Dear all.
There's been some discussion about filters etc recently which reminded me
of
a question I wanted to ask the group...
What receivers/tranceivers work well on LF?
and possibly..
What receivers or tranceivers don't work very well?
Thanks, Dave Pick. G3YXM.

Well Dave, I can report that the Kenwood TS690S transceiver works well for
reception on 73 and 136Khz without modification, other than to add a
variable series L + C between the antenna and transceiver which nicely peaks
up the wanted LF.
So far on 136Khz I've heard five countries on normal speed CW with the
60metre end-fed inverted L wire at about 8metres high.
Most heard with a 2khz passband, though I can switch in 250Hz IF or narrower
audio filters when necessary.
Using the Datong (V)LF converter ahead of the transceiver did not render any
weak signals more readable, but was useful for monitoring below 30Khz ( down
to about 5kHz minimum ) - which the TS690S transceiver would not otherwise
reach.  However, although the Russian long range Alpha navigation
transmitters around 11.9, 12.65, 14.1Khz continue to come through clearly
using the Datong converter, I haven't heard any natural atmospheric
whistlers or similar phenomena yet !
[email protected]   ( G3ZRH)