Re: LF: Re: Correction to; Measurement of loop antenna current

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Correction to; Measurement of loop antenna current
From: "Steve Rawlings" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 08:14:21 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Dave Brown ZL3FJ wrote:

. . .   The 5 ohms rf resistance I quoted was the figure for the original
single loop.  With conductor two conductors in parallel the
figure is close to 1.25ohms.  Corresponding DC figure is just over 0.1 ohms.
The present loop matching xfmr has a 13 turn (50 ohm) primary and 2 turns on
the loop side secondary. Never been quite sure why it dropped to quarter of
what it was originally rather than just half.  Anyone else had the same
experience?

Many thanks for the information Dave.  I'll keep this in mind as I seek to
reduce my loop resistance from its present value of 1.7 ohms DC.   But now that
I know the magnitude of the RF current involved, I'm concerned that, once I have
reduced the losses, I will end up cooking the ATU tuning capacitors!

Electric field antennas present us with problems due to high voltage; and
magnetic field antennas present us with problems due to high current.  It's all
part of the fun, I guess . . . .

Regards to all,
Steve GW4ALG
[email protected]