LF: re:Puffs of smoke

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: re:Puffs of smoke
From: "Finbar O'Connor" <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 23:57:59 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
I read with interest the message from  Dick/PA0SE, regarding his antenna system and fire.

Earlier this year I had a similar problem, when running at high power. At first  I used my
antenna wire with its plastic insulation only. This ran through a hole drilled in the hardwood
window frame. However once I ran the rig up to  5 amps, there was a crisp crackle and the
antenna current dropped down to almost zero. Using my Variac, I gradually ran up the power
again and again, but once I would get to about  2.5 amps the  insulation would break down.
The more I tried it , the lower the level became for the flashover to occur.
I then added some plastic over the insulation , but I had an interesting result. Rain water ran
down the antenna wire and between the two insulations, with the result that at  5 amps output
the outlet hole in the hardwood window frame would suddenly start emitting puffs of white
smoke in time with the morse code. I could read the morse by smoke signals ( no blankets
required ). If I kept the key down long enough I could dry out the water.
Eventually I found a ceramic standoff  with a hollow centre and drilled out a bigger hole in
the window frame for it. I also now put a drip turn in the antenna wire to prevent rain water
running into the feedthrough. Mind you, I have drilled that hole at an angle.  I also stuffed the
ends of the ceramic insulator with  'Blu-Tac'. Stops the wind blowing into the shack in Winter.
As they say    "No smoke without Fire"
73's   Finbar           EI0CF