LF: Re: re:Beacon QRT

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Re: re:Beacon QRT
From: "Finbar O'Connor" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 01:02:12 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>

                               BEACON  ON 136.200 KHZ  QRT  302259 UTC

I have now closed down the beacon operating on 136.200 khz ( or thereabouts ).
A big thanks to all those who contributed to the reporting of its signal. I even had
a qsl card today from Tony/G3LNP, confirming reception and noting his readings
on my e.r.p.
There are a number of results from this operation.
1. Very effectively makes operating impossible. Since last Saturday my receivers
    have been off, no point in even trying to listen to anything else.
2. If I try to operate a beacon again, it will be crystal controlled. My v.f.o was not
    stable enough for tight filtering on receive or those trying Spectogram. Sorry.
3. Perhaps Winter would be a better time to try an extended operation like this,
    when static  and T/L are less.
4. To be heard on the European mainland, perhaps I need to beacon at   5 amps
    or more. However I do not like leaving my gear running unattended at this level
    since the gear is operating on ' the edge '.
5. My Antenna is very long, extending over two gardens in one direction and a
    farmers field in the other direction, although only 14 metres high, what more
    is required to boost  e.r.p. Not sure if I am getting enough RF radiated   for the
    long haul from  Malin Head to mainland Europe. The beacon ran at  2  AMPS.
6. As G0MRF  noted, not everyone is on the Rsgb LF  Reflector, so maybe I should
    have got the new's out about my beacon by other means, also.

May I take this opportunity to thank all those who posted messages on the reflector
regarding the beacons operation. I have noted suggestions and have learnt a great
deal from the experience.
Very best regards  es  73's
Finbar     EI0CF