Re: LF: More on Rr

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: More on Rr
From: "Peter Dodd" <[email protected]>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 00:53:17 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
Mike Dennison wrote:
Further to my note on Radiation Resistance formulas, the highly respected 160m expert ON4UN uses 1450 instead of "160 (or 60) multiplied by pi squared" in his excellent book Low Band DXing. This figure is lower than 160 x pi sq (1580) but nowhere near as low as 60 x pi sq (592). I assume that he must have done some practical measurements which gave him a better figure than that calculated in the 1920s. My first reaction is that (shock, horror) Terman and many others are wrong and the Admiralty was almost right. And my ERP is definitely (probably, perhaps) 44mW.

The LF Experimenter's Source Book shows a method of estimating ERP using Roy Lewallen's antenna modelling software, EZNEC. The results correlated well with signal strength measurements made by G3YGF and by calculations made by Rik, ON7YD. The technique was also described at the LF Forum of last year's HF Convention. Has anyone else tried the EZNEC program? It might show which of the formulas is nearest to reality.

--
Regards, Peter, G3LDO

<[email protected]>