LF: calculating ERP from field strength measurements

To: "'[email protected]'" <"\"'[email protected]'\"rsgb_lf_group"@blacksheep.org>
Subject: LF: calculating ERP from field strength measurements
From: "Soegiono, Gamal" <"\"Soegiono, Gamal\"soegiono"@nmex01nt.hsd.utc.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 12:16:09 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
        Hello Toni, hello all,

          > From HB9ASB, JN36pt
          > 2. I have the means to measure the fieldstrenght (V/m) close to
my
          > antenna (up to 100m away). Is there a reliable method to
calculate the
          > ERP from the fieldstrenght?

Yes and no.
        Yes - you could measure the field strength at a known distance from
        your antenna and calculate the ERP from that. The equation is:

        EIRP    = [D * E]^2/30
                EIRP    = effective isotropic radiated power [W]
                D       = Distance [m]
                E       = electrical fieldstrength [V/m]

        No - you cannot deduce ERP from taking Fieldstrength at a distance
of
        100m, as you are still in the reactive near field of your antenna at
137kHz
        and equation above is valid ONLY in the far field.

        The nearfield/farfield transition is said to occur at 1/(2*PI) the
wavelength.
        This would be 350m for 137kHz alias 2200m wavelength.
        As I saw in articles regarding nearfield/farfield transition
distance, actual
        measurements should be made at distances which are a function of
        the radiators sizes related to the wavelength for the results to be
reliable.
        Quater wave verticals require at least 1 wavelength distance.
        Half wave verticals require at least 1.5 wavelength distance.
        For shorter than 1/4 wavelength verticals the recommended measuring
        distance is 1 wavelength.

        If you cannot take measurements more remotely, then you may think
        of using numerical methods (NEC) to calculate near field values of
        electrical field strength. Assume a ERP value, go through the NEC
        procedure, if resultant field strength is lower than measured one,
        then increase assumed ERP etc.

Best 73
        Gamal Soegiono (SWL)

        50N01 / 08E27 / JO 40 fa