LF: Antennas

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Antennas
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:27:21 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>
I have done very many antenna experiments over the past 2-3 years to get a better signal at 73 and 136kHz from a small garden.

I have experimented with inverted-L Marconis. These have mainly sloped down from the top of the vertical section and I have on two occasions increased the height of the far end with improved results. It seems that at LF you cannot get away with drooping the far end of an inverted-L like you can at HF. This is presumably because the current distribution is approximately linear for a short Marconi and sinusoidal for something a quarter-wave or more.

One a similar topic, what influences the capacitance of a multi-wire top section? Is it simply wire diameter so a thick wire has more capacitance than a thin wire? What about multiple parallel wires - these are often suggested to be a metre or so apart - why? If the distance makes a difference, do I assume that the further apart they are the better the effect, and if so why is this?

I used to run three top wires about 300mm apart but replaced these with a single wire of the same diameter of each of the three (for other reasons) and it seemed to make little difference. Was I doing something wrong?

Also, if I run three top wires in parallel, should I join them at the far end? Or perhaps I could join them so they make a single zig-zag wire down the garden, back again and down again.

The antenna is getting better all the time, but I am sure there's more progress to be made. Does anyone have some practical experience to pass on?

Mike Dennison, G3XDV
Publications Manager

* RadCom * Ham Radio Today * RSGB Books *
* GB2RS News * RSGB On-Line Web Site *

Radio Society of Great Britain
Lambda House, Cranborne Road
Potters Bar, Herts UK, EN6 3JE
E-mail: [email protected]
Tel: +44 (0) 1707 659015; Fax: +44 (0) 1707 645105

RSGB - UK AMATEUR RADIO