Re: LF: [Fwd: 137 RTTY & AMRAD Beacon]

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: [Fwd: 137 RTTY & AMRAD Beacon]
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 12:32:02 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>

> According to David Wilson's LF listing in the May 1998 LOWDOWN, the RTTY
> signal on 137.0 kHz is CFH, from Halifax (Mill Cove) -- in Nova Scotia,
> I presume. That is consistent with the east-west bearing I observe with
> my loop antenna, and the very strong signal here in Minnesota. I don't
> have a capability for absolute field strength readings, but last night
> at 0700 UTC the 137 kHz RTTY signal was about 25 dB above the noise
> level with a 100 Hz IF bandwidth.

Ah, that's very useful. I heard it at S9+10dB last weekend at 0230UTC - this is the strongest heard so far and is as good as the Greek RTTY signal ever gets. What would be really useful is someone who can plot the station's signal strength at night over a long period on a chart recorder (there must be ways of doing this on a computer, too) so it can be correlated with solar data etc.

Mike