Re: LF: 23.5.99: good condx to Southern Europe (2nd trial)

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 23.5.99: good condx to Southern Europe (2nd trial)
From: "'Geri' Kinzel, DK8KW" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 13:07:53 -0400
Sender: <[email protected]>
GoMRF wrote:

I see from the equipment list that you're using an IC746.
Is that directly at 136? <

Hello Dave,

I use the Icom 746 only as an IF at 200 kHz. Below 300 kHz or so it is not
really working. I had the IC-751 that worked fine on 136 kHz. Now, I use a
so-called MV-61 level meter (made in former East Germany), a beautiful
handcrafted piece of equipment, that covers the range between 200 Hz and
2.1 MHz with a sensitivity down to 130 dBm(75 Ohm), equivalent to about 0.5
uV at a minimum bandwidth of about 100 Hz. It has an output to 200 kHz, so
I use the 746 with it's filter capabilities.

The good thing about this MV-61 is the ability to withstand high signal
levels in the vicinity (for example, DCF39 is only some 120 km away from my
QTH), additionally, it allows the measurement of signal and noise levels
down to an accuracy of 0.1 dB. This weekend I was able to get hold of a
couple of more MV-61s. For more details, see my homepage
http://www.dk8kw.home.pages.de

Vy 73

Geri, DK8KW (W1KW)