Re: LF: 23.5.99: good condx to Southern Europe (2nd trial)

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 23.5.99: good condx to Southern Europe (2nd trial)
From: [email protected]
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 10:58:53 EDT
Sender: <[email protected]>
In a message dated 24/05/99 07:49:30 GMT Daylight Time, [email protected] writes:

<< IK5OVP in JN53KX, 928 km away. His signal was -121 dBm(75) in the peak wich is a couple of dB over the noiselevel. I transmitted on 160m, which is a little bit tricky, as I use my IC-746 and the antenna for 160m as well as for 136 kHz. I have to switch 4 switches from transmit to
receive
and vice versa... >>

Hello Geri.

Thanks for the tip on late night propagation. If the local noise sources switch off in time I may be able to take advantage of that. I note the cluster reports from RK2 were all quite late with the RK2 - GW at around midnight.

I see from the equipment list that you're using an IC746.
Is that directly at 136? I have the 756 and found its respose very poor on LF and have to use a converter to part of the HF spectrum. A wide band noise source into the antenna socket shows a depressing LF roll-off on the "spectrum display". Maybe thay fixed that on the new model.

Rules for ICOM:   Always wait for the Mark 2 !

73

David   G0MRF