Re: LF: Weekend reports 24/25 April

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: Weekend reports 24/25 April
From: "M. Sanders" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 99 23:42:19 PDT
Sender: <[email protected]>
To All

Stations heard 24/4 (listening only in the evening):
Slow CW: DF3LP (O) (559) 137.7 20:00utc
Normal CW: PA0KDM (589) / 136.4 / 20:15utc and OZ1KMR (539) 136.2 / 20:20utc.
Listening below 136.5 and 'odd' hours gave unexpected results!

Stations heard 25/4 (morning only):
Slow CW: G3YXM (O)
Normal CW: PA0LQ (579); G3YXM (579); DF2PY (549); ON7YD (539); G3KEV (549);
G4GVC (569); DJ6FU (539)

I posted this report because i heard some stations this weekend (caling CQ only
a few times) who where not mentioned in the other reports. By the way long CQ's
may be anoying to some, it gave me a fine opportunity to improve my e-field
probe changing the set up it at least three times (including measurements).
This proved to me once again that observing 'weak' but more or less stable live
radio signals is a superior way of experimenting and testing receiver / antenna
performance compared to tests with signal generators. I have decided to keep
the modification with the best signal - noise ratio. Tests i did before with
the signal generator and observing strong commercial LF stations indicated
however that a version with more gain followed by a low-pass filter and
attenuator should have worked better, but it did not! Is there some room on the
narrow 136kHz band for a limited (low-ERP) beacon experiment and are there
amateurs interested in operating/monitoring such transmitters
? (RE: Strong signals and deaf receiver discussion)

Best 73's and good luck on LF

Michael Sanders, PA3BSH
<e-mail also via: [email protected]>