LF: Weekend report 24/25 April

To: [email protected]
Subject: LF: Weekend report 24/25 April
From: "Mike Dennison" <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 14:09:46 +0100
Sender: <[email protected]>

Saturday 24 April
Local noise made reception impossible until 1030UTC.

Heard G4GVC (599); G3KEV (599); G6NB (569); G3GRO (599) and DF2PY (439). "Worked G3BDQ (589/589). Sunday 25 April Heard the following in gaps in the local noise: G4GVC (599); IK4ZPV (219); DF2PY (549). Saw on Spectrogram screen: IK1ODO ('O').

The local noise problems are getting worse. I now have two TVs, several computers and a light dimmer causing me trouble. It is very rare to be able to listen to the atmospheric noise floor. Several other LF ops have reported the same.

I have tried the noise cancelling approach but the noise is not strong enough on the "noise antenna" compared to wanted signals.

Fortunately, I have a park at the bottom of my garden so perhaps I will try the amplified whip approach as far as possible from the noise sources.

Several more links added to my web site - mostly to US sites featuring real VLF (down to less than 1Hz!).

Mike, G3XDV (IO91VT)
http://www.dennison.demon.co.uk/activity.htm