Re: LF: 160 years of Popov birthday

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: LF: 160 years of Popov birthday
From: James Hollander <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2019 22:02:36 +0000 (UTC)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=aol.com; s=a2048; t=1552860161; bh=bvA4bKVL5c+/5PKVk3anbAaujo45K7ElGjhnd1bz1T8=; h=Date:From:To:In-Reply-To:References:Subject:From:Subject; b=Oo67spfGft2+5D0QKQzZp8di/wJs9ZOlNvG/oRNjjP4PCOPz2rgF8FuWB8mAaxaSEG+C3Hfk04rZ8/0RIlFI7a0jHJfPRvvejdboxERp/wtI/ygG4rvvPh6DHZflHAuWnuM2uuY1Cb0iyJvQA8EZKew14/DlR49XdwSyy2ZZHI1vTGBC+yBff6P10hkwFDCDYFl7hmWWAalnQ050wvlCFl6xkGwpGjZFDN1bXCRER9Vhf4CRuaf+TYEtgsk1QDeWNK7gCuKGHUr2JsqMIuRRfGuL1oj4n+4TmyD7ojB373hg6yd7kPrGHUWQEx1UfAgwKmzCf97phnafZHu6XWGJ+Q==
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Roman,

Yes, I wonder how to do it in software.  As you know, a coherer has a large number of particles that statistically become more closely packed and connective in response to RF voltage or current applied to them.

Since software defined radios have replaced many functions in short wave receivers with software on a computer, why not envisage some software virtualization of the coherer.  We've been trained to think a coherer is a quaint relic of the first days of radio.   But what truly are the performance limits of the coherer in principle and what improvements starting from the coherer concept might actualize advances or technological alternatives in radio?   Perhaps ultimately the answer is "None",  but has  the question even been probed.

I recognize most of us may not be in a position to inquire into the matter, but I want to put the topic forward.   If there's any group that includes someone with the background and interests to potentially think through this software challenge, they're probably in this LF/VLF/ULF/SLF/ELF group now or in the future!

TU & 73, Jim H    W5EST