Re: LF: Re: Class D current spikes

To: "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: LF: Re: Class D current spikes
From: Rik Strobbe <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2019 14:23:12 +0000
Accept-language: nl-BE, en-GB, en-US
Sender: [email protected]
Hello Paul, Eric, Andy,

AC coupling with a large C will not solve the problem.
At "key up" one of the driver outputs will remain high thus the gate of theFET
connected to that output will remain high (and the FET conducting) during a
time depending on  RC constant of the driver / gate network. For 0.22uF and
4.7kOhm the RC constant is 1 millisecond. So for a driver running on 12V iit
will take about that time for the gate voltage to drop below the treshold.
During that 1ms the FET is more or less shortcircuiting the powersupply. One of
them will die sooner ot later ;-)

73, Rik  ON7YD - OR7T