Re: ELF: Carrier on 22.97 Hz

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: ELF: Carrier on 22.97 Hz
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2019 09:24:04 +0100
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=posteo.de; s=2017; t=1549614245; bh=8cgUfnRPZy290FETzPAXutlxmL62JUbxjWHlK1YFno4=; h=Date:From:To:Subject:From; b=CN4SW5pH3mirmeT9fremmy69pI1Zkb5mNaunG+gtvkbkuLYzZF+4XJ7JP/DHkkfE6 zgHdvj+GmoOre1mUSRjHQc1xmJtWNvJn1B1U2AkUABDlBUb2eAbgt0+HjU7Yl53/rs /fMD7lZDUICufM2WNyH1h6I74ayuTPHnJ2k139zS5NRCQcT9V4M5Znms60kmalMbuV Tud5AvkiNoQ6rJXJcVMP5WDmWoVKM2gCZ/o+zxL20gvSjsZZ6ezso5wkkqckcziHN6 avGryUha95l/Jjt7R2j+iKVa0DChwaHzL+Z4VEVyF/4jV2LeY8TkJiXL616AAI3ZIw A37noYicWeadg==
Sender: [email protected]
Hi Dimitris, ELF,

Well, The day has started here, the carrier is still there, the antenna current is stable, the tree has still enough solar energy, i have some coffee here, it looks a bit blue on the sky, so it is a good start into another good day on that planet :-) Good morning!

Well, the PA for this ELF project is quite different to normal RF amplifiers. You know, at this frequency (but also als SLF/ULF/VLF, even LF) the antenna acts as a pure capacitor. Mine has about 470 pF. At a given frequency and capacity you will get a certain antenna current from a certain voltage. Since the frequency is so low here, the antenna current is below 1 mA, despite the nearly 5 kV rms. So the TX power is very low, that's the first thing.

And how do you generate a sine of 5 kV at 23 Hz? You could use a mains transformer for 10 kV at 50 Hz and then just go down. But where do you get that from? There are some old voltage transformers on ebay, taken from 20 kV power grids. Like this one: https://www.ebay.de/itm/MWB-REL20-24-50-2-125kV-90VA-SPANNUNGSWANDLER-POTENTIAL-TRANSFORMER-TRAFO/173246231511?hash=item285647b3d7:g:vqoAAOSwt21av7Vi:rk:1:pf:0 They are heavy and expensive and often do not even handle the required voltage. The one above is way to expensive and only handles 20 kV/sqrt3, and just at 50 Hz! OK that would be fine for getting 6 kV at 23 Hz but if the experiment works well and i like to try e.g. 9.7 Hz, then the game is over with that transformer. It would be a large investment for just one experiment.
So i searched for another solution:

I'm using an old TV transformer (think they are called LOPT in english) to produce a high voltage of about 2 kV. The frequency is about 25 kHz. The output goes to a homemade Greinacher cascade (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_doubler#Greinacher_circuit) to produce a higher DC voltage. In parallel to the output there is a 10 MOhm HV resistor. This resistor is used to discharge the cascade and to build a voltage divider to measure the HV. The transformer is driven by a usual SG2535 switch mode regulator (and 2x IRFZ48Z MOSFETs). So i can regulate the output voltage (DC) of the cascade. The SG2535 has an 'error amp' input which allows to control the output voltage by an input voltage. I then use a trim pot between the internal v-ref and gnd to set an offset in the middle of the regulation range. Then, decoupled by a 4700 uF capacitor i can apply 23 Hz from the soundcard of my PC. This is decoupled by a 5 VA mains transformer, to avoid EMC problems and to rise the voltage level a bit. So actually this is a DC HV supply whose output voltage is quickly changed, at 23 Hz. So i can tune from 0...15 kV. The DC offset doesn't matter and the AC component radiates a very very very very small signal, as we can see! While trying to keep there series loss resistance as low as possible in a LF TX system, i switched 2x 10 kOhm in series to the antenna here! This builds a low pass filter (17 kHz corner frequency, i just see i could have used 100 kOhm in stead) for the switching frequency. At 325 uA antenna current, it just 'costs' 0.65 V voltage drop! The transmitter consumes 12V*1.5A. The parts you need to build such stuff is e.g. available at https://highvoltageshop.com/ There are very cheap HV diodes and capacitors. Very useful and rare!

So, the antenna is not tuned. For a tuned antenna i would need a coil which has 102 kH (kilo Henry) My lifetime is not long enough to wind such a coil :-)

73, Stefan