ULF: Carrier detection attempt at 470 Hz

To: [email protected]
Subject: ULF: Carrier detection attempt at 470 Hz
From: DK7FC <[email protected]>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2018 16:05:25 +0100
Cc: Renato Romero <[email protected]>
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=posteo.de; s=2017; t=1543763127; bh=xm+u1EuBAeG0c2Zr/YG46mfgRsfD69bVM7bJYfP7Lg0=; h=Date:From:To:CC:Subject:From; b=VNteoVzK9SFD9RnIqnvv72LfJd7MMuhxI+QlUfwW6ZcO5QlKm1nx1foh0GJ+dPxFE HcLCyd+fPBnyL65eHDHGV43xvn6bu2Iw9ySE8tdfa5ow4X0aUGcSrOKQ5o1iG4gZG6 Mw92PylALQx2MYaQqiDeXkbZDxCil9/8NXqaMfET7rlD1Q8TSijUtxOyXnbZwDRKTN Yk6MB0H8edwDF47Hv+K2p6XRY0OFjMhpG2nUrUONVNMo4HaE2oZK33G6EqkXuSq+Zm JC4H2lp4VseN/Z8VnDooDv8ec45OCDqXpgcjHKphTS1uGOYx4Qcp+aP1nQo4hUEoxZ NRXKBmJTg5SAw==
Sender: [email protected]
Hi ULF,

Yesterday i finally did another enjoyable experiment on my 900m ground loop antenna. The idea was to transmit a carrier at 470.1 Hz, the 638 km band, as long as my 120 Ah LiFePo4 battery supplies the PA. After modifying/extending my DC/DC converter i managed to run 460 W DC power which resulted in 2.2 A antenna current. At this power level, the accuy hold for 156 minutes and still provided 440 W at the end. So i pumped about 1.2 kWh into the ground.
BTW at 1 A DC antenna current i measured 85.3 V at the feed point. The soil has been quite wet.
The receive site was, as usual, my tree in 57.6 km, with its two loops and the E-field antenna receiving/recording using vlfrx-tools and a Raspi+Octo-soundcard.

This frequency and distance means that it is a near-field test! The far field begins at 101 km distance, so the experiment is in 56 % of that distance.
Since the transmit antenna is a loop, the best RX antenna is a loop too.

The post-processing of the transmissions clearly shows that the best SNR comes from the loops and just a small portion of the E-field antenna improves it further. However my loops are still quite deaf below 1 kHz whereas the E-field line should meanwhile have full performance at 470 Hz. With a lot of tweaking i managed to reach just 12 dB SNR. A capture showing the processing chain as well as the residual spectrum peak is attached. So i failed to reach the 5 sigma criterium (14 dB SNR) and so it is not a successful detection. However it is very close and for me personally it is a success. I cannot imagine that it is random noise. And i am sure that it will be possible to improve the H field reception on the tree to be at least 2 dB better for the next experiment. This is the goal for the next week! Then, in the next experiment, i'll try a 5 character EbNaut message which needs about the same SNR to decode.

73, Stefan

PS: If it's true that the near field signal levels will not drop with frequency then will it be possible to detect SLF and ELF signals from the same systems, if the noise is constant and the performance of the RX will not drop towards DC? With the TX antenna i can run any frequency towards DC...